Sunday, February 12, 2017

January 2017

I titled this blog after I graduated law school and was subsequently unable to reconcile a so-called profession's obsession with prestige with its patent scumminess. Scummy practitioners who are miserable human beings. A scummy academy that has driven the best and brightest students away, even as it encourages mediocre ones to matriculate and throw away their life. A scummy accreditor that needs no further comment. A scummy judiciary that blames the victims, aka "sophisticated consumers."

A while ago I reached a point where I not only lost interest in blogging, but even reading other scamblogs I've followed for years.

Anyhow, I popped into TTR recently and saw that Charlotte School of Law is holding a food drive. For its own students. The tl;dr version is the Dept of Education finally put the screws to a law school and cut off Federal loans, something it should have begun in the Joan King era.

Reportedly, the DoE offered to extend loans for the spring semester if the school agreed to shut down, but scumminess won the day. Nando and his commenters have already said all that needs to be, so I'll quit here.

Please give generously. CSL Students' Living Expenses

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t17.htm

Not seasonally adjustedJanuary20161,111,000
November20161,124,700
December20161,130,400
January20171,117,4006,400
Seasonally adjustedJanuary20161,119,400
November20161,122,500
December20161,125,800
January20171,124,9005,500
Change from Dec-16 to
Jan-17
-900

3 comments:

  1. Maybe the "law professors" will start their own GoFundMe campaigns. They have no shame or integrity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read about the food drive and had mixed feelings about it. It's disgusting the way the schools bleed students dry when they know full well that these people don't have a snowball's chance in hell of landing a paying legal gig. But another part of me can't help but wonder how in the world a school like Charlotte is still getting applicants, not to mention enrolled students. If your school has been cut off from federal loans because it's nothing but a diploma mill, run, don't walk! I mean, pick up a can of beans or something from the food drive, but don't go back to class ffs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the GoFundMe commenters claims, "Thank God I was not accepted to CLS. I feel for these people."

      Words fail me.

      Delete